Maple-Balsamic Heirloom Carrots

Quite frequently, we order a basket from "Bountiful Baskets". It's always fun to see what unusual produce we receive from our donation. I'm always happy when I get stuff I like! (But I'm always distressed when I get something I don't like...ie: Cauliflower and Green Peppers).  This particular week I was thrilled to see some beautiful heirloom carrots in beautiful tones, including purple! Aren't they gorgeous? Look at the inside of that gorgeous color! 
 I used my Pampered Chef Julienne Cutter (one of my favorite kitchen tools) and tore into those babies! The color variation as I got closer to the core was amazing! Like Hombre in carrots!
 And of course I prepared them my favorite way...with Balsamic Glaze and Real Maple Syrup (hey...I had a little left over from my last visit to Cracker Barrel, so I used it!)

This is my go-to favorite preparation for full size carrots. It's really delicious. I served these carrots with my White Grape, White Balsamic and Herbs de Provence Pork Tenderloin. It was such a lovely flavor combination...I was in food heaven!
Maple-Balsamic Carrots
  • 5 large carrots (I used Heirloom)
  • 1-2 TBL Butter
  • 2 TBL Balsamic Glaze (easily found at most Grocery stores)
  • 1 TBL Real Maple Syrup
  • Kosher Salt and Pepper, to taste
  1. Shred Carrots into long strips (easy to do with the julienne cutter or with the shredding attachment on a food processor)
  2. Melt butter in a large saute pan.
  3. Add carrots and cook until desired texture. Hint: If you like your carrots softer, put a lid over the pan, and add some water (about 1/8 cup) to help stem them.
  4. When desired texture is reached, add the remaining ingredients.
  5. Serve immediately. They cool down quickly because of how thin the carrots are.



No comments: