Healthy "Faux Fried" Won-ton's

I have always loved serving Won-tons with sauce when I make Chinese Food. It's like the Oriental version of Chips and Salsa!



Many years ago, I used to deep-fry them. Oh yes, that makes for a good flavor and texture, but it also makes them more fattening! aye yi yi!

In the more recent past, I discovered a technique to make them low-fat, without losing the flavor or the texture of deep-frying. I'm now going to share my secret with my readers...I hope you try it out!

Faux-Fried Wontons, pre-baking

  • 1 pkg Won-ton Wrappers (round or square)
  • 1/8 cup Peanut Oil (other oils will not give you that traditional flavor, so I don't recommend them)
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Use a stoneware pan, or place parchment paper on a regular baking sheet. (I always use stoneware to get a crispier product)
  3. Pinch each wrapper in the center and twist tightly to hold a shape.
  4. Dip the open top of each wrapper quickly into the peanut oil. 
  5. Set the wrapper onto it's back (twisted side), allowing the oil to drip down onto the part of the wrapper that you did not dip.
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until you get the color and crispness you want. 

Easy Sweet and Sour Sauce:
  • 1 cup pre-made Sweet and Sour Sauce, brand of choice (Duck Sauce is also a good choice)
  • 1 TBL Dark Sesame Oil
  1. Combine the sauce and the oil. 
  2. Serve at room temperature with the won-tons.
  3. Note: The Sesame Oil is a great addition to most sauces which sometimes have an overly-tangy flavor. It changes the texture and the flavor just enough to make it no longer taste store-bought!

No comments: