Gyros: 2 Ways and Homemade Tzatziki


Although I have previously posted my Gyro recipe, I wanted to revisit it. There are 2 reasons for that….one reason is that it has been one of my most read posts, and the other is that I wanted to show that you can also make Gyros with just plain ole' regular frozen meatballs too! (Oh, and I finally took a picture of my Tzatziki sauce :})

I really love my Tzatziki sauce…and I have yet to eat anyplace that makes one as good as my recipe. Does that sound crazy? It's not…it really is that good! Try it, and let me know what you think!




Gyro:
  • 4 Jennie-O Turkey Burgers **
  • 1-2 TBL "Cavender's" All-purpose Greek Seasoning
  • 1-2 Onions, caramelized
  • Sliced Tomatoes
  • Romaine Lettuce, torn
  • 4 Pitas 
Tzatziki Sauce:
  • 1 whole Cucumber
  • 1-2 Garlic Cloves
  • 2 cups plain Greek Yogurt (my FAVORITE is Zoi Brand, if you can find it!)
  • Juice of 1/2 Lemon
  • 1 TBL Dill (I use Freeze-dried from Lighthouse brand)
  • 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1-2 tsp Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
  • Ground Pepper, to taste
  • Half and Half, for thinning the sauce if desired
  1. For Gyro meat, slice each burger into 7 slices; sprinkle with half of the seasoning.
  2. Fry over medium high heat, and drain off all the liquid after cooking half way. Add remaining seasoning and fry until meat is no longer pink inside.
  3. Serve on pita bread with other ingredients and the sauce.
  4. For Tzatziki Sauce, shred the cucumber in a food processor. (or use a hand grater if you have to)
  5. Either drain the shredded cucumber, or place it in a clean towel and squeeze the excess liquid out. Place back in the processor bowl. NOTE: The final texture of your Tzatziki will be affected by the amount of  cucumber liquid you leave in. You can decide if you like it thinner or thicker.
  6. In the processor bowl, mince the garlic with the drained cucumber.
  7. Add the remaining ingredients and process until desired texture is reached.
** For more about the ingredients I used in this recipe, please visit this post.

I linked on ALL THINGS THURSDAY BLOG HOP with Mother's Niche


No comments: